Saturday 15 October 2016

All buttoned up

An unexpected burst of painting activity saw me complete my Prussian dragoons this week. I even managed to paint all the buttons in one hour which is a personal best. I think the secret may be painting five figures at one time (rather than my normal two or three with cavalry) as I was less critical of my work – I often revisit a figure unnecessarily because of some perceived minor blemish that will never be noticed on the tabletop.

I also took the time to clear up my painting desk which had been cluttered all year with too many things on the go. My new regime will be to paint only 6 infantry, 3 cavalry or a gun and crew at any one time. I’ll allow myself to have the next batch undercoated and ready but apart from that everything else will be cleared out of sight. This way I can switch between units and projects as much as I like but only after a batch has been completed.

I just need to get these figures varnished and based and then they will join the other half of the regiment to make a full 12 figure unit.

9 comments:

KEV. Robertson. said...

Ian,
Superb painting of the Cavalry figures- well done indeed. Regards. KEV.

Stryker said...

Cheers Kev!

the Archduke said...

Now come on, Ian, repeat after me, "painting buttons is fun". Best pin-up yet. Obviously.

Stryker said...

Nigel - yes it's so much fun (sound of teeth gritting). The pin-up is just for you of course!

'Lee. said...

Lovely painting Ian, a great addition to your wonderful collection.

Matt said...

Very smart looking figures and your dedication to the "art of the button" is becoming legendary!

Wellington Man said...

Very impressive, Ian! Or should that be Buttons?

Stryker said...

Matt @ Matt - I am honoured indeed although I'm not sure my buttons will pass close inspection!

Wargamer Stu said...

I must admit I follow the Lidal's approach of piling um high - doing about 30 at a time. Mind you none of my chaps have buttons ;-)