Thursday 11 September 2008

Trumpton Colour Bearer

Well actually it’s an Austrian Line Infantry Colour Bearer AN9 but I thought that this models facial features and pose bore an uncanny resemblance to the members of the Trumpton Fire Brigade.

This is a bit of an odd figure because it was produced by David Clayton and was never part of the original Hinton Hunt range. I can see why Clayton wanted to add it as there was a distinct lack of standard-bearer figures made by Marcus Hinton. Only the British and French range had them included although the Prussian range had a figure cast with open arms and a separate musket that could easily be converted to carry a flag.

I decided to include this figure in my Hungarian Regiment because I really do think that you need a few flags to make a decent looking Napoleonic force. I also like the metal-cast flag that is in keeping with the retro nature of this project. The sculpting is a bit crude but I think he will blend in fine once in the ranks.

I was quite pleased with my freehand flag painting when viewed from a distance but please don’t zoom in too close on the image.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice flag! Time was when we all had to paint our flags, before those shiny paper ones came out :-)

Lee.

Stryker said...

Hi Lee

Yes - my most difficult ones I did in the past were the Stars & Stripes for 23 units of 1/300th Union Infantry. All painted with the naked eye before the onset of middle-age and glasses!

Ian

rpardo said...

I like the two-peaks shako of the Austrians....
Regards
Rafa

Anonymous said...

Nice job! He's definitely Hugh or Barney (or maybe Dibble!).
Matt

Stryker said...

Matt - wasn't Dibble in Top Cat as well?

Ian

Anonymous said...

You are correct, Dibble went to America and got a role in Top Cat. Apparently Windy Miller did his stunts!

Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

Looking forward to the next update! I just followed your link to the 'Hinton Hunter' site.....Wow, seeing those Peter Gilder figures again after all these years almost brought a lump to my throat! Anyway, all of this has inspired me to get started again, I began a Napoloeonic blog last year but just didnt feel that 15mm rewarded my painting work. I'm looking to start again in 20mm and may even go plastic. You can see my 15mm figures on my blog if you would care to take a quick look:
http://napoleonicwargamesproject.blogspot.com/ unfortunately I ran out of steam after 6 months painting!

Regards,

Lee.